Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pay it Forward...

Okay, a friend of mine blogged about her mommy brain and reminded me of the importance of "Paying it Forward"...
I think this is a unique concept that people so seriously overlook in this world..

On Monday, I was treated to breakfast. Made me smile to think that she thought enough of me to treat.. it was great to see her and just chat. Some long overdue time for just myself.. I felt spoiled and for the first time a while, really good about who I am. I have since spent time thinking about how I can repay her and pay her back.... in doing so, it made me think about other small ways that I can make someone else feel as good as she made me.. I have spoken to a few friends on the phone and told them why they are valued at their employment for being the great employee that they are.. she stopped the conversation and just said "thank you" for being so nice and making me feel good.. hearing nice things about yourself can really make you feel good -- not everyone realizes that. but it's true.. I know this because while DH has had his broken foot, he is really going out of his way, almost daily, to say thank you for everything.. I appreciate you and all that you are doing... these little words, really make me feel good and in turn make me want to make other's feel good.

Think about it, it doesn't take long to post a comment on a friends blog when you read something that makes you appreciate what they took the time to say, tell your significant other that you appreciate them taking out the trash - even though they are expected to do it. Let you kids know that you appreciate them remembering to pick up their shoes and put them away so that no one trips on them.. these 40 seconds of kindness can really have a longevity effect on the day.. it's a minor way to pay the kindness forward.... plus, you never really know if you are making someone's day or not. isn't it worth the shot -- plus, it's free.
sometimes it backfires too, but not usually... sometimes you make a person's day with a kind word, or help someone get an A- in a college class or you just make your kid smile..

just my thoughts for the day..
so please.. find a way, a small way, to pay it forward today..
I promise, it will come back to you.. one way, or another..

I don't know any better way to say what I already have, so I will end this here..
:) Monique

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I commented on my blog about a student that I don't have said he was going to miss me, because every time he put up his hand to high five while passing in the hall, no matter where we were, I always high fived him back. Such a little gesture that was really appreciated.

AlehouseGirl said...

In the interest of paying it backward .... (i.e. I owe ya one)

Despite my fairly outgoing personality I'm a difficult person to be friends with. I have high expectations of people and don't keep in touch even remotely as much as I should. You, my friend, have survived me. We've stuck together since college. Whether it was singing you the Nika song, going to Applebee's for salads and daquiris, staying late in the labs chatting up boys overseas ;), weddings, kids, you've been there with me. Called me when I didn't call you back...and even probably scrapbooked about it :). Thank you, you are an amazing friend, and greatly appriciated even though I don't tell you nearly enough.