Wednesday, May 28, 2008

6 weeks, well 5 weeks...and a ranting..

My official due date is the one that was determined by the size of the baby at my second ultrasound.. we realized that we might have miscalculated the conception date and therefore were going to go with the size the baby was measuring.. July 8. Since I am having a repeat c-section, we scheduled it for July 1. Woo hoo, one less week for me..

the more we talk about the date, the more confused I get. I have been at the ER twice since Monday. Monday for some other issues and contractions that they realized needed to be stopped with some crazy medication that felt so much like speed. Monday was fine, still contracting, but fleeting and far and few in between.. Honestly, I thought much of what I now know to be contractions have been happening for a while.. Just thought the baby was getting bigger making me more uncomfortable.. good to know what is really going on, good to know that the bleeding I was experiencing was nothing and otherwise, the baby is growing well and doing just fine. With a Dr. appt. scheduled for this Thursday, I left there feeling good about most things.

Well, on Tuesday, I had to call the Dr. office to ask about contractions and what to do when they are coming more often, sharper and so on and so forth. Also, to find out what the risks of being exposed to 5th's disease is. Yup.. DD's teacher informed me that there was a confirmed outbreak in the school and that the incubation period is 2 weeks... The very sweet girl in the office told me that there isn't much to be done about the 5th's disease.. basically, a blood test will confirm exposure and if it is current exposure or old exposure.. being a preschool teacher for many years, the odds of me being exposed are high.. I am sure I have seen and been in contact with it before.. also, there is no treatment, just monitoring of my blood and the babies blood until she is born. the worry is that the baby could become very anemic, as in, need transfusions in utero. then she advised me to lay out and rest and when the contractions got to be as close as 5 minutes apart, then to head to the hospital. also, be on the look out for decreased fetal movement.. Tuesday all in all, while stressful, was not bad. the overprotective DH refuses to let me into the school until we have the blood work done..

well, last night when I went to bed, the baby wasn't moving a whole bunch.. no alien time as I like to call it. this is when I lay quiet, talk to her and wait for her bumping and moving.. I didn't stress because I had felt her earlier in the day & the contractions were probably making it tight for her to move.. well, this morning, I got up and did NOTHING.. took a shower and went back to bed laid there and waited and started timing. I also called the Dr. to get the blood slip for the blood work.. she informed me that it could wait until my appt on Thursday.. but I expressed to her my concern about the decreased fetal movement & increase of contractions.. I got all over emotional and kept on her on the phone longer than needed ... I really must remember to send her a thank you card ... she deserves it..

she insisted that I had to go to the hospital I would be delivering in since if they admitted me I would need to be there. .. DD has it in her little head that anyone who goes to the hospital ends up in heaven.. we have not had the time to set her straight otherwise, so tonight.. I wasn't staying.. poor thing might have lost her mind.

well, when contractions started coming 3 and 4 minutes apart and within a short time with it being 12 hours since she moved.. time for the ER. we waited a long time for a non-gentle Dr. to check my cervix and realize that while my contractions are averaging 7 minutes apart, they were not producing enough for me to dilate and that I should go home.. OH and to come back if they kick up to 10 minutes apart and decreased movement.. according to his directions, I should never had even left the hospital.. I feel like I saw a quack.. He also did an ultrasound just to check on things like the placenta being all in tact.. I said to him, it's been a while since I had an ultrasound, approximately, how big is the baby, a quick glide or two over my belly would have told me approximately her size, dip stick doctor says, babies this far are about 4 1/2 lbs.. No kidding, really, my weekly email and baby book told me that.. HOW BIG IS MY BABY, the one inside me, the one you are looking at.. as in .. um.. right now.. JERK! I can't wait to see my Dr. in the am. and the Dr. was ignorant as heck when DH asked outright if there was another way to tell if the baby was in distress or if there were problems other than coming back .. because not for nothing, we have a high co-pay and we pay it each time we come back.. since they did nothing to STOP the contractions, we could have been back there today.. let alone countless days over the next few weeks.. It's insane.. he basically said in his smug tone, -- nope, this is all you can do and seemed surprised by the copay.. he didn't think insurances had them.. um.. hello buddy you work in medicine.. frustrating..

I am truly looking forward to my scheduled appt with MY doctor tomorrow.. he should have better advice and better explanations for things.. DH is hoping for a fetal monitor..

she technically has 6 weeks to be full term, but 5 weeks to be delivered.. more cooking is required, but honestly, don't know how much she will get..
Oh well..

If I knew better, I would be less frustrated than I am since there is nothing I can do about it, but right now, it feels good just to stew a little bit and BE frustrated..Publish Post
:) Monique

No comments: